LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environment Design) is intended to provide building owners and operators a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
LEED certificate provides clients and occupants market recognition for high performance of so called Green buildings.
Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED is a suite of rating criteria for life cycle of green buildings; it is even focused on sustainable building design as a whole.
Certification system guarantees (by an independent third party) that the building has been designed and built according to strategy focused on getting the best possible results in key areas of environment and human health.
A certificated LEED rates Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources and Indoor Environmental Quality.
By succeeding in getting the LEED certificate developers immediately obtain means for measuring the performance of their buildings and their impact on environment.
Buildings with LEED certificate have not only environmental benefits but also financial benefits for investors and occupants.
LEED assesses the building and technological units and surroundings in the following sections:
|Available points (CS)
||Energy and Atmosphere
||Materials and Resources
||Indoor Environmental Quality
||Innovation in Operations
||Regional Priority Credits
All sections are evaluated in the order of their importance within the system.
While for the non-certified buildings in the Czech Republic is energy consumption evaluated using an energy performance certificate of the building (EPC), LEED certification requires mandatory much more detailed evaluation of all energy consumption in the building by utilizing a dynamic energy model and including all energy consumption and all factors and inputs with influence on energy consumption in the building. The output from this model then serves not only the needs of LEED certification, but provides the owner or prospective tenants realistic picture of the operational costs even for individual tenant premises.
Output from the energy model serves also as the basis for future energy management of the building.
Mandatory part of the LEED certification is the process of approving / testing MaE systems operation (Fundamental Commissioning of Building Energy Systems), during which, among other things, is being verified that the parameters of installed technical equipment meet the requirements from the energy model.
Buildings can qualify for four levels of certification:
Rating systems of LEED:
In the Czech republic following rating systems are used LEED v4:
- New Construction and Major Reconstructions (NC) – for new buildings and significant refurbishment (if the tenant of the major part of the building is known)
- Core & Shell (CS) – if there is an unknown tenant and the building is built speculatively supposing that fit-out will be completed later and won’t be certified
- Commercial Interiors (CI) – can, but doesn´t have to be connected with the previous - tenant has his fit-out certified
- Existing Buildings: Operation & Maintenance (EB: O&M) – for existing buildings
LEED was developed to address all buildings everywhere, regardless of where they are in their life cycle. From hospitals to data centers, from historical buildings to those still in the design phase, there is a LEED for every building.
The system LEED have been updated in 2013;LEED is designed to be more flexible and improve the overall user experience. LEED v4 is bolder and more specialized for building projects worldwide.
The benefits of Green buildings with LEED certificate are for example:
- Reduced operating costs
- Increasing the market value of the building
- Reducing the amount of waste to be transported to landfills or incinerators, during development and during operation
- Saving energy and water
- A healthier and safer environment for users and visitors
- Reduction of harmful greenhouse gases produced during the construction and building operation
- Banking benefits
We are USGBC members, which brings to our klient 20% discount on registration and certification fees.
For actual information about number of certified buildings see here:
LEED Core & Shell (CS)
- Jindřišská 16, Praha
- Jungmannova 15, Praha
- OAC Na Příkopě, Praha
- Office Islands - buildings A-F, Praha
- CITY WEST – buildings C1&C2, Praha
- Florentinum, Praha
- Palác Stromovka, Praha
- COPA Centrum Národní, Praha
- Argentinská hvězda, Praha
LEED New Construction (NC)
- Eame Overhaul Center,Žatec
- PVI Central, Česká Lípa
- INGERSOL Rand, Kolín
LEED Commercial Interiors (CI)